Here are some of the most frequently asked questions and answers to them.
- Where can I find information on ____?
- Do I need to be in the military or have prior military service to join?
- Do I have to have read the Honor Harrington books to join?
- How do I find out more about BuTrain and the different Academies?
- I want to start a chapter who should I contact?
- Do you charge dues?
- I see many members with treecats on their shoulders. Where can I get one?
- Do I need a uniform to participate?
- I cannot afford one of the uniforms. Are they required?
- I have an idea for a new uniform or uniform item. Whom do I contact?
- Why does David not want Kilts as an optional item, vice trousers for highland members?
- What are the requirements for awards in the Royal Manticoran Navy?
- I noticed you have marksmanship awards. Can I use my real world firearms experience to qualify for those awards?
- Can I submit more than one award at a time through the online forms?
- How do I get a post-nominal, peerage, etc…?
- I want to get the Order of Queen Elizabeth. How do I go about doing that?
- I noticed not all of the ribbons I need are available for purchase through BuSup. When will they be available?
- Can I purchase the ribbons I need someplace else?
Q: Where can I find information on ____?
A: This website and the Mantipedia Wiki contain information on the Royal Manticoran Navy the Official Honor Harrington Fan Association. They provide most if not all the information related to the group.
Q: Do I have to have read the Honor Harrington books to join?
A: No! A great many of our members have read some of the books before joining. A good number of our members joined and then started reading. But, if you wish to take exams at one of the academies, we recommend reading the series.
Q: How do I find out more about BuTrain and the different Academies?
A: You can find all of the information on this website under the “Academies” tab or you can find more detailed information on the Mantipedia Wiki Education pages. To request a course from any academy, use the “Forms” tab to navigate to the Course Request Form on this website.
Q: I want to start a chapter. Who should I contact?
A: Who you contact will depend on what type of chapter you want to start. To start any Navy (RMN, GSN, RHN, IAN) chapter contact BuShips. To start a Royal Manticoran Marine MARDET or assault shuttle contact RMMC COMFORCECOM. To create a Royal Manticoran Army installation contact RMA ODCSPER.
Q: I see many members with treecats on their shoulders. Where can I get one?
A: Most of the treecats were originally purchased through our supply arm, BuSup. Unfortunately, they have all been sold, and there are no plans to order any more as the licensing for that item has expired. The license transferred to another company.
Q: I cannot afford one of the uniforms. Are they required?
A: Uniforms are optional. However, if a member wishes to volunteer at one of our recruiting tables, there is a minimum dress code. We have tried to create several different levels of uniforms for the organization which will allow everyone to participate. Our uniforms range from the most basic, TRMN T-shirts/Polos and a pair of slacks/jeans, to full cosplay uniforms. Please see the most current Admiralty Order about minimum dress codes for that information.
Q: I have an idea for a new uniform or uniform item. Whom do I contact?
A: Send your ideas to the head of the division to which they pertain. Please note that tRMN follows Honorverse canon as closely as possible, so not all designs will be approved.
Q: Why does David Weber not want Kilts as an optional uniform item for Highlander members?
A: Because the Gryphon Highlanders are not Scottish…most of them are of Byelorussian and Ukrainian descent so Scottish cultural traditions would not be appropriate. See Gryphon (Honorverse Wiki).
Q: What are the requirements for awards in the Royal Manticoran Navy?
A: Information for Service Awards, Achievement Awards, and Awards Precedence is found by clicking here.
Q: I noticed you have marksmanship awards. Can I use my real world firearms experience to qualify for those awards?
A: No. Due to liability issues, we cannot allow firearms to be used to qualify for any of our marksmanship awards. Our marksmanship awards were not designed to test one’s ability on the range, but rather to encourage our members to get together and do something fun.
Q: How do I get a post-nominal, peerage, etc…?
A: To receive a post-nominal, one needs to have gone above and beyond what is expected of the membership at large. To obtain a peerage in the group, one needs to have not only gone above and beyond what is expected of the association at large, but also the individual’s contributions to either tRMN or the Honorverse, in general, must have been of great significance. The only exception to this is the Order of Queen Elizabeth, which is granted for monetary donations to tRMN.
Q: I want to get the Order of Queen Elizabeth. How do I go about doing that?
A: You can make a monetary donation by using the Order of Queen Elizabeth donation button on this site. For specifics regarding the different levels, please see the Wiki entry about this award.
Q: I noticed not all of the ribbons I need are available for purchase through BuSup. When will they be available?
A: We try to prioritize the stocking of the ribbons depending on how many members have a particular ribbon. We are in the process of getting all the necessary ribbons manufactured. This takes some time to do. So the best thing to do is keep checking the BuSup online store from time to time.